What to do on those days other than Valentines day? February is a short month but there is plenty you can celebrate and tons of fun you can have all month.
1. Buy some bright, gorgeous flowers! Winter seems to be especially grey this year. Why not brighten up your home with a fun arrangement of flowers. Don’t like flowers? Try getting a plant or maybe even some herbs to grow for cooking. Something to brighten up the house and bring in some oxygen. Maybe grow them from seeds.
2. Forget cooking - order pizza! February 9 is Pizza Pie Day, so take full advantage of that and order your favorite. My personal favorite is a veggie pizza. You could say the history of Pizza day started in 10th century Napels Italy. Records first showed the presence of pizza as a simple flatbread spread with sauce and sprinkled with cheese. Pizza first appeared in America in 1905 in New York City in a pizzeria called Lombardi’s, which is still open to this day. Any way you choose to celebrate Pizza Day either by giving yourself the day off and ordering in or doing a family pizza night where everyone does individual pizza’s it will definitely be a hit!
3. Complete a jigsaw puzzle. Many February days are cold and damp outside, so choose a night when everyone is home, and try your hand at completing a puzzle together. I suggest setting it up on a table that you don't need for other things. That way, if you don't complete it in one night, you can leave it out and come back to it another day. Not into puzzles try a game or craft.
4. Plan a getaway. Nothing makes me think of warm sunshine more than planning a summer vacation at the beach! Not a beach person? That's ok. Start thinking of someplace else you'd like to go either for a vacation or just a day trip this summer.
5. Make a vision board of you’re summer plans in general. Get some cardboard of construction paper and some old magazines or newspapers. Cut out the pictures that you like and show what you want to do. Glue them to the board. This way you can have a pictorial of the summer you dream of.
6. Find local indoor fun! There are so many great places around to have fun indoors. Try something new, or go back to an old favorite!
7. Make a new recipe. Try some comfort food that will warm you up, like chili! Chicken soup is a great one to make too.
8. Visit a Museum or the Butterfly Pavillion to get you into the spring frame of mind.
9. Learn about the Presidents. With Presidents' Day on February 19, this month is a good time to learn some new and interesting facts about the forefathers of our country.
10. Buy a new toothbrush. February is National Children's Dental Health Month, and what better way to "celebrate" than with a nice new toothbrush to clean those pearly whites. My kids have a reminder in their bathroom that reads, "You don't have to brush all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep."
11. Celebrate some Holidays (other than Valentines Day)
February 3rd Eat Ice cream for Breakfast day, Feed the birds day. Make a pinecone bird feeder with peanut butter and bird seed.
February 4th Thank your mailman (mailwoman) day, world cancer day. Say thanks and give thanks for those in your life.
February 6th National chopstick day. You can use them to eat with or do crafts with them. So flexible.
February 7th Send a card to a friend day. It says it all! Do something personal and old school that will make your friends day.
February 9th Pizza day
February 11th Make a friend day. Give a kindness rock or a random act of kindness and find a new friend.
February 13th Mardi Gras (Did you know they do a Family Gras? Feb 2nd & 3rd this year).
February 17th is Random Act of Kindness day – why not do something randomly nice for someone. Take a neighbor cookies, take thank you cards to a police station or fire department, make some “Kindness rocks” rocks and give them away or place them around for others to be uplifted.
February 18th A holiday for Mom’s and Dad’s – National Drink Wine Day! Drop by one of the local wineries or your favorite restaurant and have your favorite wine.
February 19th National Cocolate Mint day. Missed the wine? Get your chocolate on!
February 20th is Love your pet day. Buy or make a toy for your pet.
February 22nd International World Thinking Day & National Margarita day.
February 26 is Tell a Fairy Tale Day. My favorite you can read one or make one up.
February 28 is National Tooth Fairy Day. Celebrate the little fairy who is in charge of our baby teeth.
12. Enjoy a quiet family day. Whether its snowing outside or you just had a long week. Take some time to connect and do something as a family. We plan a day of simple things like making a craft, playing a game, making dinner, watching a movie and making a movie night. Maybe do a fondue with some fruit, veggies, crackers etc if you are doing cheese. Or do a chocolate fondue with fruit, cookies, marshmallows etc.
13. Go on a hike! Get out and enjoy the good days by taking a walk, a hike, cross country ski or even do some snowshoeing.
14. Visit relatives. If you have family around take some time to let them know how much you love them. No relatives around mail them a letter and let them know you are thinking of them.
15. Plan your garden for summer and begin your sprouts for the garden. Make a theme for your garden, maybe an Italian garden or a salsa garden. Go out and find the seeds you want to have in your garden. Use an old egg carton add soil and add the seed and sprinkle with a little water. TIP: make sure carton(s) are in a leak proof container. Keep the seeds in bright natural light if possible. Plants need a warm environment to grow (between 60-70 Degrees Fahrenheit during the day and 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Before you put your plants outside, prepare the seedlings by exposing them to the elements a bit at a time till they are hardened off and ready to be outside full time. TIP: I shake the egg cartons from time to time and I rotate them ¼ turn every 5-7 days or sooner if the plants begin to lean dramatically toward the sun or light.